Fungi on wallpaper could be a factor in sick building syndrome

1970s wallpaper

June 25, 2017

Science Daily: Toxins produced by three different species of fungus growing indoors on wallpaper may become aerosolized, and easily inhaled. The findings, which likely have implications for “sick building syndrome,” were published in Applied and Environmental Microbiology, a journal of the American Society for Microbiology.

“We demonstrated that mycotoxins could be transferred from a moldy material to air, under conditions that may be encountered in buildings,” said corresponding author Jean-Denis Bailly, DVM, PhD, Professor of Food Hygiene, National Veterinary School of Toulouse, France. “Thus, mycotoxins can be inhaled and should be investigated as parameters of indoor air quality, especially in homes with visible fungal contamination.” (…read more using the link below)

(Image credit: Liz Sullivan (Own work) via Wikipedia Commons)

Full story:

2017-11-26T00:54:21+00:00